Saturday, June 19, 2010

Seeing a Therapist / Counselor

I never know what to call her. Therapist. Counselor. Shrink, LOL.

Anyway, what I want to say is that it's very helpful. I think everyone probably could use a therapist at least once during their lives. Probably more than once.

I wish I had known how helpful this would be earlier.

Like ten years ago when my college sweetheart left me. I was pretty screwed up for a while. A therapist would have been helpful.

Or like eight years ago when I had my car accident. That was a lot to deal with, and even though I think I handled everything pretty well, I think it would have been helpful.

And I'm sure I would think of many more instances if I thought about it long enough.

Just having a knowledgeable, non-judgemental person who can listen to how you feel, listen to what you're going thru / have gone thru, listen to your thoughts, and is a completely neutral third party, and is able to give you advice based on years of experience, tell you when you're right, and give you some insight & perspective when you're wrong. Not that she ever tells me I'm "wrong", per se (part of the non-judgemental aspect of it), but just being able to show you how your perspective might be a little... off. And actually explain it to you with reason, logic, and compassion.

Anyway, the point of me writing all this is to tell you that if you ever think to yourself "geez, maybe I need to see a shrink", well... maybe you do. Not that you need to, but maybe it would be helpful. I highly recommend it.
One thing that I have learned, and re-learned, over & over again in my life is that strength doesn't lie in not ever needing help. Strength lies in knowing when you need help, and in your willingness to find & accept the help that you need.

Till next time...

1 comment:

Gina said...

I saw a therapist for a while after having my son - best thing I ever did! Sometimes I think about going back for a bit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...