Monday, June 28, 2010

Dear Medical Receptionist:

Listen, I used to be a medical receptionist. In a much busier office than you work in. You think 40-50 patients a day is a lot? Ha! Try 100 patients, plus innumerable phone calls. Ha!

So you know what? I expect you to be kind & courteous & understanding & sympathetic when I call. Or at least be darn good at faking it. If you can't do that, then find a different job. Because people contacting their doctors need to be able to believe that everyone there cares about them as a patient, and as an individual.

When I call requesting an appointment because I have a health concern, I do not expect you to treat me like I'm an idiot, and get really annoyed when I insist on actually seeing the doctor. Especially since you did not ask me any questions in any attempt to get details about what was going on, nor did you offer to have me speak to a nurse. Both of which were the procedure followed in every medical office I worked in.

I am an educated person, and an educated patient. This wasn't a haphazard call. This was me, concerned that there is something going on with my body, asking to be checked out by my physician.

Thanks for finally scheduling the appointment. Now before you answer that next call, why don't you check your attitude at the door?

Thank you for your kind attention to this matter.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...