Friday, June 25, 2010

I told you I joined Weight Watchers, right?

Well, my first week was... tough.

I went over my points every day. I tried. And stumbled. And tried again. And stumbled. Apparently my eating has gotten more out of control than I realized, because, having done WW in the past, I really didn't think it would be that difficult to meet my points. But it was.

Today was my first weigh-in.

And...

I lost three pounds!

I couldn't believe it! I honestly thought I would stay the same, or maybe even gain, or if I lost anything it would be maybe half a pound or something. But no! I lost THREE!

I don't remember how much I expounded on this before, but I'd really gotten frustrated with my trainer from the nutrition side of things. I was having difficulty making my targets, and when I asked for help I got no guidance at all. Just "you have to do it, you just have to do it". Well, you know what? For those of us who struggle with eating, and admittedly don't know that much about nutrition, just doing it isn't that easy. So I decided to forget what they told me and go back to WW.

For those of you who, like me, haven't been to Weight Watchers in a few years, they've actually changed improved their program somewhat. They've changed the way they calculate how many points you get in a day, to allow for variances by gender, age, lifestyle, and even nursing moms. They've also changed their focus from being so strict, to allowing "failure". Failure is a bad word, but right now I'm struggling with the right word for it. Basically, I remember last time I did it there was so much emphasis on eating exactly your points every. single. day. Can't go over. And don't go under either. Now it's more of "here's your guideline" kinda idea. If you go under one particular day, no biggie. If you go over one day, no big deal, start over the next day. Just don't make either one a habit. The focus is much more on making this a life change, which allows for some variation from time-to-time, instead of a strict diet or eating plan, that doesn't allow much flexibility for, well, life. And let's face it, life happens.
Oh, and I'm using their online tools, and so far I really like them. They also have an application for most smartphones, but I haven't yet downloaded it, so I can't review it yet. I imagine that will make it even better, easier to track when I'm out & about and whatnot.

1 comment:

Candace said...

It is so funny, because this was my first week back on Weight Watchers after of month of "having fun" eating what I wanted, when I wanted. Anyway... the program is better than when I first started doing it back in 2001. I love the flex points, and the etools are AWESOME!!! I love being able to track it on my computer and Doug has the ipod touch and he even let me download the app on there. It is really helpful.

Great job on the weight loss!!! We can do it girl!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...