Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Dear InLaws:

Today's modern disposable diapers are marvels of absorption & dryness. They really are.

But this does not mean that you don't have to change FireGirl's diaper regularly.

I really wish I didn't have to have a sit-down with you about this, but if we don't have a come-to-Jesus meeting soon, you might end up banned from watching her.

We've been thru this. FireGirl has extremely delicate skin, which makes her prone to diaper rashes. Bad ones. Really bad ones. This means that until we get her potty-trained, which is still a ways off, anyone watching her must be extra diligent in changing her diaper as soon as it is wet.

I know you don't like changing poopy diapers. Neither do I. But leaving my daughter to walk around in her own feces because I will be there "soon" (approx 45 min) is not acceptable. For any child, let alone my baby girl who you know has issues with bad diaper rashes & infections.

And telling me that you think something's wrong with the diaper because it's wet on the outside, then admitting that it was also "really heavy with pee" tells me that you probably missed what should have been two or three diaper changes in there. You let my daughter sit in her own urine for what I'm estimating to be three hours or so. At least. And I remember that night. When you dropped her off, she had again peed thru her diaper. Which tells me that you didn't change her diaper before you got in the car for the hour drive, because there is no way she peed that much in one hour. Doesn't happen.

Now listen. I understand that it's been 30 years since you had children. So some of this takes re-learning. But I also know that when I try to tell you things I get that look. Heck, sometimes you even say it. "I raised three kids just fine". As if I don't need to tell you anything. Well, obviously I do. Besides which, I am her mother. I will tell you whatever I darn well please when it comes to taking care of my baby. And if you choose to ignore it, your watching-your-only-granddaugther privileges will be revoked.

I hate to be this harsh with you, as you are her grandparents, and I really do try to tread lightly on our already strained relationship, but at this point I feel it's become a health & safety issue for the care of daughter.

So, the next time you are watching FireGirl, I will be instructing you to change her diaper every two hours, regardless. Not checking to see if you think it needs changing, but actually changing it. Every two hours. Even if you don't think it needs it.

And if you ignore my instructions, and / or continue to do anything that puts my child's wellness into question, your watching-your-only-granddaughter privileges will be revoked. No question. And I don't care how hurt you might be or how much you might hate me after that. I don't even care if FireMan gets angry with me.

This is my child. And this is your last warning.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...