Friday, July 30, 2010

Pregnancy & Childbirth

It dawns on me, as I think about my friend, who gave birth two days ago, subsequently hemorraged, and is still in the hospital, still waiting to see if her body will replenish her blood supply or if she will need a transfusion... it dawns on me that pregnancy & childbirth are probably the most dangerous things most of us women will ever do in our lives.

I mean, really. You all know I had my own complications. Scary stuff. A few weeks after I delivered FireGirl, I came to the realization that 100 years ago, maybe even 50 years ago, possibly even 30 years ago... FireMan would have taken me to the hospital expecting to bring home is daughter, and would have left with no one. With the complications I had, he most likely would have lost both his wife & daughter during childbirth.

Scary.

Similar situation with my friend, except that her daughter is fine. But 50 years ago... her husband would have been left to raise his daughter on his own.

Scary.

But you know what? Worth it. Every painful, terrifying second. Totally, 100% worth it. I'd do it again a thousand times if the end result was still my FireGirl.

Scary? Terrifying.

Worth it? Absolutely.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I have this thought quite often about my experience delivering Natalie. Sometimes it's really scary to think about what would have happened without hospital intervention. But yes it is so worth it I don't know what I would do without them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...