Monday, October 31, 2011

FireGirl has a "best" friend

FireGirl's social skills have vastly improved since she started her first preschool just over a year ago. And she's always been in church nursery. And she has several cousins around her age.

So she's had friends, playmates she was friendly with.

But for the past two weeks I've heard about nothing but Trudi*.

Trudi started at her preschool last month, and last night FireGirl declared Trudi to be her "best" friend.

We must have conflicting drop-off times though, because I had yet to meet little Trudi.

Until this morning.

The minute we neared where her class was on the playground when I was dropping her off, a little blond girl approached us, quietly, hands neatly behind her back, staring at FireGirl.

I suspected this might be the "best" friend. Except FireGirl showed no reaction.

This girl continued to watch us as we said our goodbyes - a fairly long process, if I want things to go smoothly - during which time their teacher informed me that they've become best friends. I asked if that were indeed Trudi, and she confirmed that it was.

I asked FireGirl if she wanted to go play with her friend, and she nodded her head "yes" and took a step toward Trudi.

Trudi waved at her, even though they were only a step apart. They never said a word.

Then FireGirl ran back to me for one last hug before going off with her new best friend.

As a bonus, I found out they'll both be moving up to the same class, at the same time, in a few weeks. Yay!

I don't know why,  but somehow I feel like this attachment to Trudi, this "best friend", is a milestone. I feel proud. But I can't explain why.

I just know my little girl is growing up.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...