Saturday, October 29, 2011

Is Anyone's Life NOT a Stumble-Upon ??

Last month Kelle Hampton wrote a great post about how we stumble upon awesome things in life. That really got me thinking.

First, about how my life is such a stumble-upon. Like... just about everything, it seems. A million little accidental findings that have turned out to be the best scenario for me. Ever.

And then I got to thinking... is anyone's life not a stumble-upon? Does anyone out there actually live according to their plans? Does anyone not just stumble thru life, coming upon the things we do and things we have mostly by... accident... fate... God?

Of course, we do have a choice... free will... We choose whether or not to turn down that inviting street, go into that unique shop, "wink" back at that cute guy.

We stumble upon things that are different than where we are, what we are doing, and we decide if we want to take the risk in exploring the stumble-upon that is tugging at us, or go back to road we were travelling safely a few moments before.

We stumble upon these things that we weren't looking for, but almost seem as though they were looking for us. And when we feel that pull, that tug towards the stumble-upon... well, it's hard to resist that tug towards the unknown. The previously unknown.

It appears I do a lot of stumbling.

Like how I met my husband.

And how he stumbled upon our house while helping his parents look for one of their own.

And how I got Tucker because, well, it seemed like a good day to get a cat. The tug was strong that day, practically driving me to the shelter.

And Jena? Most definitely a blessed stumble-upon.

Diving with the manatees? Stumbled upon.

My major in college? Stumbled upon.

Joining the college band? Stumbled upon.

So many things. So many things not planned. Not planned in my wildest dreams. But stumbled upon when I wasn't looking for them. There they were, tugging at my heart, begging me to turn down the next street, veer off the road I was on, change my course...

My life is one big stumble-upon. And I couldn't be happier about it.

2 comments:

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I ended up working a double shift at work one night. If I hadn't been there flippin' hamburgers, I would have never met my hubby when he came to do a fire inspection. That is one of "life's stumbles" that has been a huge blessing!

'Yellow Rose' Jasmine said...

I used to try very hard to control every aspect of my life very much. Because of past life experiences it seemed so important to ensure that nothing ever came by surprise. This led to some very disappointing moments for me when even though I had tried to control things to the nth degree, things just did not fit into place as smoothly as I had imagined.
As I relearned how to trust, even myself, it has become obvious to me that life is much better lived with some amazing chance events thrown in for good measure. This seems to be at the heart of good living.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...