Thursday, April 8, 2010

Stupid FireMan! and Why BMI's are also stupid

We met with our trainer again last night. FireMan has already lost 5 lbs! Yay for him! I have gained 2 lbs! Boo for me!

Stupid boys.

So I've thought for a while now that your BMI is a really poor way of telling whether or not you are a healthy weight. It's too broad, too general. And our trainer confirmed it.

He said he's had girls come in with perfect BMIs, tiny little things, weighing maybe 125 lbs. Then they do their series of measurements, and she ends up being 40% body fat. Which is dangerously high. Said it happens all the time. Basically they have no muscle, and what little weight is on them is fat. But because they are in a "healthy" range of weight according to all the charts you find out there, they don't even realize how "fat" they really are. And vice versa. He has clients whose weight puts them in the overweight category, but their body fat percentage is actually low, because they have so much muscle.

So far I'm doing pretty well. Did aqua fitness on Monday, stationary bike & elliptical last night, plan on doing the bike again tonight, then Saturday we're swimming. Doing okay on the food. For the most part. Last night we got our actual targets for calorie, protein, fat, and carb consumption. I'm doing really well today, except for my fat intake. Almost all of which occurred because I wanted butter on my wheat toast at breakfast. Hmph.
Some things will take adjusting. I mean, I can buy reduced fat / fat free butter in the future, but I'm not throwing out my tub of Country Crock. Same with the white pasta vs the whole wheat pasta. I usually buy whatever's on sale, so I have a mix. I'm not throwing the white pasta away so I can stick to the whole-wheat-only plan. I refuse to waste food. So there will be some adjustment as we phase out the old and phase in the new.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Glad to hear you're staying positive. If you're looking for a low fat butter I suggest I can't believe it's not butter. I use it for everything even cooking and it tastes great!

Cynthia said...

You could try some local honey on the toast. I'm the same way about wasting food. I hate to do it, so I get the phasing thing.

Did your trainer also tell you to expect to gain a little when you first start training? Working out actually causes damage to muscles - you tear them down then rebuild. In the repair process, you'll retain a little more fluid than usual. The body also tends to hang onto more water any time there's a shock to the system - it's a survival mechanism. Keep your water intake (yes, water and only plain old water) a little heavier than normal for the next 3-4 weeks and it should start to even out, even if you are going to the bathroom more often. It's good for you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...