Monday, April 19, 2010

Mom Left Children Unsupervised Again


Just a thought... something that I never thought about until I had a child myself.

Now, whenever I see these stories, I wonder if the mother (or father, depending) is perhaps a single mom, working & struggling to provide for her children, unable to afford childcare, and feeling like she has no other option than to leave her children alone while she goes to said job.

I don't know the details of this particular story, although the report that when found the mother smelled of alcohol certainly doesn't bode well for her, but I can't help but wonder.

If I didn't have a supportive family to help me with FireGirl, I honestly don't know what I would do. I don't know that I could have made it.

Again, I don't know the particulars of this case, and most cases like this all we see are the few details provided by the media, but it's just something that crosses my mind every time I hear it. That maybe, just maybe, she's not the deadbeat mom everyone's making her out to be. Maybe... she's just trying to make it, and felt like she had no other option, and maybe she did whatever she could to make sure her kids were as safe as possible before she left. Maybe.

1 comment:

Marianne said...

Even without the support system you have, you know you would never live your kids alone, especially at such a young age. My niece is currently a single mom of a 18 month old(her and dad split, dad lives in another state) and I know how hard it is on her. She's in the Coast Guard, works all day, takes care of baby all night, spends her weekends cleaning, doing laundry and grocery shopping with a baby in tow. She'd love to have 5 minutes to herself, but would never think to leave her daughter alone to do it. I feel for these people, but there are ways to do it. And I know you better than that, no matter how frustrating it may be, you would find a way and never leave your kids alone...you're a great mom!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...