Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Choice: the ultimate freedom

We always have a choice. We may not like the choices we have. They may be difficult choices. But we always have a choice.

I don't like the phrase "I didn't have a choice". Yes, you did. Even in the most dire of situations, you have a choice how you are going to react to it.

To deny yourself choice, is to take away your own freedom. No one can take your choices from you. Only you can take them away from yourself.

"You leave me no choice". Not true. You may not like the choices you are left with, but you still have a choice. You still get to decide how you are going to act.

When we are slighted, we decide how to react. Are we going to get angry, blow everything out of proportion and ruin the day of everyone around us? Are we going to take it all in with grace, forgive the person for slighting us, and do our best to not let it affect our mood? Somewhere in between?

See... you have a choice.

But Jodi, you say. Such-and-such happened to me and I had no choice at all. Now my life is ruined. I'm the victim. Blah, blah, blah.

I understand. I really do. But you still have a choice how you will react to the circumstances in your life.

Still think I don't understand?

In 2002 I was in a car accident. A lady ran a red light and T-boned my car going approx. 50 mph. My car was totalled, and I was injured. I had no choice. I didn't choose to be hit by another driver.
However...

I chose to call the police. I chose not to request an ambulance (mistake). I chose to drive myself to the hospital. I chose not to go on disability. I chose to continue working. I chose to continue to do whatever I could to lead a normal life. I chose to follow the doctors' advice and postpone surgery for as long as possible. I chose to smile even when I was in pain. I chose not to take this accident out on those around me. I chose to forgive the woman who hit me. The list goes on and on.

We do have choices. Even when it seems we don't.
So the next time you're sitting there feeling as if you don't have any choice, think about it. Think about it long & hard if necessary. Find your choices, then make them.

2 comments:

Dreams Do Come True said...

<3 this blog! we do have a choice. When I was born they told my family I would die without open heart surgery. My family chose not to do it. I was told almost all my life I would not live to a certain age. But I have chose to live each day to the fullest and I have chose to never give up

Jodi said...

Good for you Tiffany! Don't ever give up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...