Monday, March 18, 2013

I don't like the idea. But...

So, I've been thinking...

Since I will have a scheduled C-section anyway, and this will be our last child... I'm considering asking my Ob what he thinks about me having a hysterectomy simultaneously with the C-section.

The fact is I've always had bad periods (seriously bad, heavy, long, and painful periods) and have been on hormonal birth control since I was 13 years old because of it.

I don't want to be on hormonal birth control the rest of my life.

I have a family history of uterine prolapse, and already know that my pelvic floor muscles are weak from my first delivery.

And, quite frankly, I feel like having any more children would be dangerous. Who am I kidding? I think this next one is a little risky. But I'm getting older, my body's getting older, and we feel sure we will be done after the next child.

I guess what I'm saying is that even though a hysterectomy is major surgery & not to be taken lightly, I'm actually thinking it might be better for me in the long run.

And if I'm ever gonna have it done (like multiple women in my family have needed for various medical reasons), it's generally safer to combine surgical procedures into one (C-section & hysterectomy), than have two separately. And he'll already be cutting into my uterus to deliver the baby anyway. So... right now that's my train of thought.

Of course, unless we can show it's medically necessary, I'm sure insurance won't cover a hysterectomy on a woman in her mid-30s. But... I'm also thinking that with the issues I've already had, it probably (maybe?) won't be difficult to get covered. Maybe.

To be clear, I don't like the idea. I cried when I decided I think I want to do it. The idea of not having the option to have any more children makes me very sad. But... I think it's probably a good choice for long-term health, considering both my personal & family medical history.

As always, thanks for checking in!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a hard decision to make, it was very hard for us to decide not to have anymore (but Hubby got snipped). That was 3 years ago and some days I'm still very sad about it, even though I know, in my brain and when my heart really pays attention, that it was the right decision. Hugs.

Marianne said...

Typically, not only will insurance not cover it, but a doctor won't perform it either if not medically necessary. They have one of the highest premiums for malpractice insurance and are very cautious about what they do. I tried for years with no luck - had to have more minor surgeries instead. I hope things work out for you, though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...