Monday, October 4, 2010

How is Polygamy / Bigamy Illegal?

Seriously. I can't figure this out.

I mean, I get trying to legally marry someone else when you're already married to your intial spouse. Sort of. But being legally married to one spouse, and then living with three other people and just deciding you want to call them your spouse... how is that illegal?
Sparked by this news story:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39418047/ns/today-entertainment/

I just don't get it.

In a relationship(s) that involve all consenting adults, no evidence of abuse (spousal or child)... how is that illegal?

Anyone?

But consensual relationships amongst adults being illegal? With no signs or evidence of abuse, force, or coersion?

I don't get it.

Sleep with whomever you want, have lots of kids with several different partners, don't support any of them... legal.

Sleep with a few others in committed relationships, have lots of kids with them, you all live together, and everyone's supported financially... illegal.

Anyone else struggling with this?

Actually reminds me of one of my older posts on gay marriage.

Becoming more & more in favor of less & less government.

5 comments:

Renn Oldsbuster said...

Read this article (and others) at "Fall of Reynolds" and you will find that your suspicions are dead on - - -

http://fallofreynolds.blogspot.com/2009/02/families-or-felons.html

Jene said...

Actually, it's illegal to not provide support to children that you have created. It takes a lot of work to sever parental rights.

I get where you're coming from on the polygamy issue. It's not a lifestyle that I would personally choose, but why should my own beliefs guide how others live their lives?

I do think that part of the intent behind the rule was to prevent the "marrying off" of young girls who aren't adult enough (in body OR mind) to make an informed decision about their life path, and I'm completely on board with that.

I still disagree with your statement in the gay marriage post - marriage is NOT an institution that was put in place by your god or anyone else's. Marriage-like unions are found in nearly all societies, no matter how primitive and regardless of the dominating religion. You believe that government should stay out, I believe that religion should stay out.

Jodi said...

I agree, and disagree, with Jene.

Marriage as an institution was put in place by my God... in my beliefs.

Other societies put in place similar institutions based on their own beliefs, some religious, some not.

As far as religion staying out... I guess it depends on your beliefs how much you allow religion in, right?

Regardless of your spiritual beliefs, I still don't think the government should be able to tell you who you can or can't marry. Religion in, religion out - that's personal. So is marriage. The government doesn't really have a place in either.

Jene said...

If marriage was created by your god, then what do you consider the status of married couples who don't belong to your religion?

Jodi said...

It's not up to me. It's up to them.

I think... it's a personal decision / situation. If you tell me you're married, I have no reason to question that, and so as far as I'm concerned, you're married.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...