Friday, October 29, 2010

My Uncle Died

Last Saturday. 1:06pm.

My father's brother.

Cancer. We're assuming.

He'd been in poor health for years: diabetes, heart disease taking the biggest toll on his body.

He was also morbidly obese, which just doesn't help things.

Needed a wheelchair to get around. I think that was more a result of diabetic complications (foot sores) though.

Earlier this year he found out he had cancer. Not sure what kind, but he decided to forego treatments.

This uncle, he & my dad didn't get along. At all. Never reconciled.
Not sure how it started, but I suspect when my father left the Catholic religion it didn't help things. Or maybe that's when it started.

I don't really know because my family generally doesn't talk about these things.

Makes me want to get along better with my siblings.

The Memorial Mass is tomorrow.

I'm not going.
We had already planned to take FireGirl to her first UC football game (it's Homecoming), paid for tickets, etc.
My dad said he wouldn't want FireGirl to miss her first UC game for it.
So we won't.
I ordered flowers to be delivered for it. After confirming with one of my Catholic friends that it would be acceptable.

Oh, yeah. I didn't know if it were acceptable or not because it's not a funeral.

He donated his body to science.

So it's a "Memorial Mass".

So I wasn't sure.

I know Catholics tend to like their traditions & rituals, and wanted to make sure I was respecting that (even if I don't agree myself).

I feel like I should say more, but I don't have anything else to say at this point.

Although there are pages & pages of thoughts still swirling around in my head.

This is all I've got for now.

Later.

2 comments:

Jene said...

I'm very sorry for your loss. I can relate to the weirdness of losing a family member that you aren't all that close with, even though you probably should be. Hang in there.

Candace said...

Thinking of you sweetie! If you need to talk, you know I am always here if you need me! Love ya, friend! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...