Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Potential

*disclaimer* this post is speaking specifically to professonal aspirations. Has nothing to do with family.



Do any of us ever live up to our potential?

Sometimes I wonder if I could have done something more with my life. Professionally speaking. Okay, well, I know I could have. But am I somehow not living up to my potential by not? Should I have gone into another profession?

I used to be smart. I say that candidly, because I don't always feel so bright nowadays. But back when I was in school, yeah, I was the schizzle. Not that I ever really felt that way. But looking back on test scores, grades, etc. - yea, I was pretty awesome.

Then came college. I was an undeclared major for 2+ years before deciding on History. Why history, you ask? Because I didn't know what to do, and in my 2nd year of undergrad, a professor told me my papers were equal to or better than what his grad students were doing. Funny, because as I progressed with my History degree my GPA was consistently less than stellar. But obviously that professor saw some potential, thought that I was above my class. So it was still there then.

Then I graduated. And I fumbled. I am in my 30s, and I still don't know what I want to do with my life (professionally speaking). I know I'm not really happy in my current job, but I don't know where I want to go. And I haven't felt challenged intellectually in a long time. Which probably has led to the downfall of my brainpower.

What should I have done? Should I have been a doctor? lawyer? engineer? nurse? veterinarian? professional musician? teacher?

Or is this right where I'm supposed to be? Am I supposed to be an under-utilized support staff?

Do any of us ever live up to our full potential? Are we supposed to?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...