Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Judgie McJudgerson

Have you heard of the Duggar family? 18 Kids & Counting? Well, they just announced this morning that they are expecting child #19.

And immediately, on one of the message boards that I frequent, there was judgement. They're "crazy". They "need a psych eval". They "are out of their minds". Etc, etc.

That sort of thinking drives me crazy.

I've noticed I tend to get more fired up about these things since I became a mom. More sympathetic I guess.

I just think that how many children you have is between you, your spouse, and God. No one else. Whether it's zero, or 19, that's your business.

They take better care of 18 kids than a lot of people take care of one. They live debt free.

I know, I know. These people chose to be on a reality show about their lives. They chose to make their lives public. Fine. But why do we have to judge them? Why is it seen as "okay" to judge them for their personal decisions?
Besides, just one generation ago, having that many kids was fairly mainstream. My dad had 11 brothers & sisters. My father-in-law had 10 brothers & sisters. It's only been during this last generation that big families like that have become a novelty. They used to be the norm.

It just makes me really upset. As long as no one is getting hurt, why is it any of our business? Even for celebrities, while much of their lives are public, there are still somethings that are private, or should be. There's something sacred about a family's decision to have a child. It should be cherished & protected, not ridiculed.

I could go on & on. But I'd better not. I'm done for now.

3 comments:

Dreams Do Come True said...

OMG! You read my mind. I was getting ready to blog about this. I saw it on t.v. this morning before I left the house. I knew when they were on what they were going to say. I know a woman who is 12 out of 20

Candace said...

I completely agree with you and I swear, when you posted that this morning, I wanted to respond that I completely agree with you, but didn't because I was afraid that someone that I was already having a heavy conversation with would see my comment and know that I thought that they were being judgemental(I didn't want to hurt their feelings, but I made it very clear that I thought they were wrong about their opinions of the Duggar's)!

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting seeing as I have found at least 5 posts on your blog that are blatantly judgmental, with just a few minutes of searching. I guess it's only judgmental if it's an opinion that doesn't agree with yours or an act that doesn't align with your moral standards? I just find the double standard very interesting. Maybe before you call other people out on being judgmental you should take a look at yourself.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...