Friday, May 31, 2013

My Fat Butt - an update of sorts


Well, it's been about six months since I've done one of these, and the progress ain't pretty.

I'm not sure if any of you guessed it or not, but the reason I had to go off my endocrine meds was because we were planning to TTC. If you remember, I was on an aggressive drug therapy, and so my endocrinologist recommended being off of them for months before we even started trying.

And my weight has piled on.

In fact, when I went off the birth control, that was apparently the straw that broke the camel's back. While my weight gain had been slow up to that point, and had plateaued, when I took off that last Patch, I blew up 25 lbs in the first eight weeks off birth control.

Gained another 5 lbs in the following month, but the gain seems to have stopped. Better than gaining, not as good as losing.
And I'm miserable. I feel awkward in my own skin. My fat pants are tight. As much as I've always struggled with my weight, I feel like I'm in someone else's body, just waiting for mine to return.

At a friend's insistance, I joined Weight Watchers. Again.

To be honest, I've never had much success on their program. Then again, we know I have a metabolic disorder. And my body hates me.

It's only been four weeks, but I have managed to drop two lbs. So yay. I guess.

I'm also participating in a DietBet.

As pessimistic as I am about my weight, I'm also glad that the needle has stopped going up, and has actually gone down, if ever so slightly.

We've been hiking several times as a family. I really enjoy it, and have decided that hiking is probably my favorite form of exercise.

But... my back has been bothering me pretty regularly since our very first hike, over a month ago. I have these moments where I get this stabbing pain near the site of my injury. We're talking a level-10 pain. A knock me down pain. But it only lasts a few seconds to a few minutes. Then a little while later it hits me again, for another few seconds.

I've also been getting muscle spasms, which feel like someone is squeezing my tailbone with all the force they have, and contracts both gluts as well.

Resting did nothing to alleviate either pain.

So I went hiking again. And again. And again. The pain's no better, but no worse either. So why not?
Anywhoo... I am considering seeing my endocrinologist. Since I had gone off all of the meds, I cancelled my last appointment. But let's face it, this just ain't working.

I just feel like I'm in a catch-22. The meds that I know work, which I've been told I'll probably need to take for the rest of my life, I can't take while I'm trying. But the heavier I am, the more difficult it will be to get pregnant, and the harder a pregnancy will be on me and the baby.

I feel like I'm leaving you without much of an update. I suppose this is more of a rambling of my current thoughts on the subject. At any rate, thanks for checking in!

1 comment:

Katie said...

(((Hugs!!!))) The back pains sound awful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...