Thursday, February 7, 2013

Inside the Mind of Depression

This article articulates so well what I have been unable to. The following paragraph particularly speaks to me, and my past experience with depression.

"Everything is irritating. Work is boring and unbearable. Any activity takes many times more effort, as if every movement requires displacing quicksand to make it. What was challenging feels overwhelming; what was sad feels unbearable; what felt joyful feels pleasureless—or, at best, a fleeting drop of pleasure in an ocean of pain."

Read full article here.

Everything was irritating - yep

Work was boring & unbearable - I myself struggled to understand why a job I once loved suddenly became so dreadful. In tears, can barely force myself to go dreadful

Any activity took many times more effort - oh my goodness, yes

What was previously challenging felt overwhelming - can I get a witness?

What was previously sad felt unbearable - check

What previously felt joyful felt pleasureless - numb was more like it

It is only with the hindsight of healing that I can look back on the 2+ years I spent under the cloud of depression that I can see how the depression itself colored my world.

1 comment:

'Yellow Rose' Jasmine said...

Having only experienced fleeting hours of these types of feelings I can honestly say it scared me senseless, based on the experiences I have witnessed in my family. I cannot imagine what it was like for you and your family. I'm so glad that you were as proactive as you were in getting help for yourself and understanding your situation. How you approach this issue is so much healthier than most I have met who have suffered with depression. It is good of you to share your experience so that others might recognize this issue and also seek help.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...