Saturday, December 3, 2011

Not Just Another Blog Challenge #16 - The Worst Thing About Being a Parent


I think the absolute worst thing about being a parent has got to be seeing your child suffer.

I still remember clearly the needle-sticks they did to draw blood when Jena was a newborn, and how she would scream and cry, and I would try to stifle my cries.

Or when she had a staph infection that needed to be drained, which required the pediatrician to lance it, and then put immense pressure on the surrounding area, and I'm helping to hold her down and she's staring up at me like "why are you letting them do this to me?".

Or anytime she gets an owie whose pain doesn't go away right off the bat.

Or anytime she's sick, and it just has to run its course.

Or anytime she mentions Tess, and tells me how much she misses her (still), and asks me questions like WHY, and it tells me that somewhere inside, my little girl is experiencing her first dose of heartache.

The worse the suffering, the worse it is on the parents as well, but anytime my child suffers is definitely the very worst thing about being a parent.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...