Monday, September 13, 2010

Just because I can't see God doesn't mean God isn't there

"You would think that after knowing how it feels to be invisible I would know better than to trust only what I see. I'm pretty sure this makes me an invisible hypocrite. But just because I couldn't see God didn't mean God wasn't there, anymore than I am not there when my family can't see me.
It is so tempting to believe that I am missing out. Much in the world whispers that I am... It's hard not to trust what I see. Only faith can counter that misperception. Only faith convinces me that reality is so much more than the synthetic reality I see... I will do well to keep my faith in what I can't see from being overshadowed by everything I see around me."
page 68

Sometimes in life it's so difficult to see how much we have, how much God has blessed us with, when what seems like everyone is telling us what we don't have. When tragedy strikes, it's difficult to see the good that can come out of it. When hard times come we have a hard time seeing how they might be preparing us for greater goodness. When we're lonely we have difficulty seeing that we're not alone at all.
One of the greatest mysteries of being a Christian is the faith we have in the unseen. Our belief that God is there. I love her line "...just because I couldn't see God didn't mean God wasn't there, anymore than I am not there when my family can't see me." Because those of us who have a personal relationship with God know that He's there, even when we can't see him. We just know it, much like your husband & children know you still exist, even when you're not physically with them. It's that real.
Our knowledge that God is there. Our belief that even when things are looking horrible from our perspective, that "...we know that all things work together for good to them that love God..." (Romans 8:28a) gets us thru some very difficult times, often smiling when the world doesn't see any reason for us to smile.
Faith in things unseen. How simple. How profound.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...