Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Connections (or... why I miss Facebook)

We haven't had internet service at our home since we bought it. Going on three weeks ago. And I'm really trying to not Facebook at work, so... it's been nearly two weeks since I've been on Facebook on a computer (although I do log in via Blackberry every once in a while).

The first day, I felt a modicum of anxiety: my crops will wither! my fish will die!

The second day, I thought about Facebook, but with less urgency: my crops have withered. my fish have died.

They the third or fourth day, I got real about what Facebook is for: I wonder if I have any new messages? new friend requests? crap, so-and-so asked me to add her as a friend, and I haven't been on

By the end of the first week, while I missed Facebook, I found myself, well, not caring about it really at all.

But by the end of the second week? I check Facebook on my Blackberry every chance I get. Almost obsessive about it.

And last night I found myself asking myself "why?"

Because I miss the connections. I miss hearing about what's going on in my friends' lives: reading their statuses, seeing their pictures, keeping in touch, connecting with them on some small level. I miss getting little comments back on my status updates or my pictures.
I miss the connection.

Outside of family, I have very little connection in my daily life. And with my life being superceded by home renovations lately, even those connections are brief, surface interactions.

I need connections.
I work in an office, where most of my fellow team members travel. Except for me. And by travel, I mean all. the. time. Which means that many days I am left sitting at my desk, virtually alone. Right now? There is one other person sitting at his desk, and he's across the room.

Which means I get very little "connection" with my co-workers.

And so, at this point in my inadvertant Facebook fast, I am close to starving. Starving for connections with people I care about, who care about me. Even if they are "just" Facebook connections.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...