Sunday, March 28, 2010

Yay! New Opportunity!

A few weeks ago I wrote about seizing opportunities, and I'm happy to say that I am moving forward with one of them.

I recently began volunteering with a local pet rescue, and right at the time I joined they were looking for a new web coordinator. So... I'm it! I'm really looking forward to it, and think that it will be a great way for me to use some of my skills to give back, in an area for which I've always had a passion.

The president wants to completely overhaul the site, and it appears that I'm the only one in the organization that really knows anything about web design & administration (or maybe the only one able / willing to donate their time?), so... it's pretty much all up to me. The overhaul will take quite some time. Quite frankly, their system right now is a mess. And it's not just the actual site, but also data management as well. I worry that the hardest part will be getting the current members on board with the new flow of data. In my experience most people resist change. Just seems to be part of human nature.  Anywho... once the redisign and overhaul of the systems are complete, the regular maintenance shouldn't be too time consuming. But right now I am a little worried about all the work going into the overhaul of their systems. It's a lot more than I realized when I first signed up for it, LOL. Isn't that always the way...

Additionally, I'm hoping that it will eventually lead to other web development gigs, both in the community and possibly professionally.

One thing I've thought about doing for quite a while is to start doing websites professionally, focusing on providing services to community organizations, non-profits, churches, and small businesses. Basically offer low-cost basic sites to groups that normally wouldn't be able to afford it.

So... I'm excited that things are moving forward in that area, and hopefully this will end up being the first of many.

1 comment:

Deesha said...

Woo-Hoo! That is great lady! Congratulations and Good Luck. You will do an amazing job I am sure! I think you could totally do that freelancing thing as well. Many organizations want websites, but can't afford them. Probably some independent music artists in the area as well who are just getting started. If you don't think you'll be overwhelmed with it, then do it :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...