Friday, March 26, 2010

Because I'm NOT the majority. Apparently.

*disclaimer* this post is not directed at any one individual. While I have a few friends & family members with whom I can have rational, intelligent discussions on even the most controversial of subjects, this is directed at the rest.

I've been told I'm a rascist because I don't agree with the healthcare reform.


I've been told I'm a rascist because I didn't vote for Obama.

I've been called a Nazi because I am for capital punishment.

I've been called a Nazi because I am of German heritage.

I've been told I'm "crazy" for believing the Bible is the Word of God.

I've been called a rascist because I'm proud of my Southern heritage.

I can be told that I won't understand because I'm white, and to say that is accepted and okay, but if I dared say that to a person of a different race, I'd be called a rascist. And if it happened at work, I'd probably be fired.

I've been treated as less educated than others, because my degree is not in a technical field.

I've been treated as less intelligent because I work in a support role.

I've been told I am "crazy", "boring", and "intolerant" because I prefer traditional church services to contemporary ones (not that I think there is anything wrong with contemporary services, but simply because that's my preference).

I've been told that I'm selfish, because I chose to donate to one charitable organization over another.

I've been told I am "just" a girl.

I've had "friends" turn on me because of the color of my skin, because the leader of another group told them I was rascist simply because I was white (although I had not personally done anything against any of these people).

I've had "friends" turn on me because I told them that I believe that living a life in which you participate in homosexual activity is a sin (no greater than any other sin, mind you, but the Bible is clear that it is a sin).

I've been told I'm a sexist because I don't think women should be pastors.

I've witnessed management refusing to interview the more qualified candidate, because they were white men, and the company has told them we need more "diverse" employees. So they passed on the most qualified candidate, and interviewed a less-qualified candidate, simply because they were "diverse" (ie. not a white male). I've witnessed it. More than once.

I saw my brother get turned down for scholarships because he was a white man.

I've seen my husband get passed over for jobs because the department "needed" to hire a woman, even though she did worse on the eligibility tests.

I'm watching my husband probably get passed over for a job right now, because (in the chief's own words) "there's a black man applying", even though said black man did worse on the eligibility tests.

I watched my husband nearly get fired, and go thru a court process, because a black co-worker accused him of something, and the employer didn't want to take any chances of a racial discrimination lawsuit, even though the accusations were unfounded.

When accosted by a black man at a sporting event (he got in my face and threatened me with violence), the police suggested I should leave, even though I had done nothing wrong. The officer (who was black) even admitted to me that I was in the right, but they couldn't risk being accused of racial profiling, so it was just easier to ask me to leave.

And these are just the few things I could think of off the top of my head in a few minutes this afternoon.

And I think I'm just tired of it. Done.

I am sick and tired of people telling me how horrible a person I am, because I disagree with them. How awful and oppressive and hateful I am.

Guess what?!? I can disagree with you, and still be a nice, intelligent, well-meaning, loving, caring person! It is possible!

I really try to lead my life in a non-judgemental fashion. I do my best not to call others names. I try to get others viewpoints. I make genuine efforts to get actual information before making decisions, not just listening to others' opinions. Those who are closest to me have said that I am the most tolerant and understanding person they know.
And yet I am called names. I've been blamed for things that I haven't done, just because I'm white. I've been blamed for things that I haven't done, just because I'm a conservative Christian.
And I'm expected to keep my mouth shut about it.
Because if I dared call a person of color (ie. any non-white) a rascist for making judgements about me based on the color of my skin, I would be (and have been) told that it's not possible for them to be rascist, and I wouldn't understand because I'm white.
If I dared to tell a gay person that their actions were sins, I would be (and have been) told I am hateful and prejudiced, even though I am honestly a "love the sinner, hate the sin" person. But of course, my sins can be aired out like dirty laundry, and I just have to take it.

I am sick and tired of the squeakiest wheel getting the oil, while the other three wheels bear the burden of the load in silence.

I am tired of it.

I am done.

And yes, I disabled comments. Because I don't want your feedback. No offense. Not even if you agree with me. Not even if you sympathize. For once in my life I want to be HEARD on this topic. For once, I want to be the person saying "I don't have to listen to you, because I'm a Christian white woman, and you wouldn't understand".
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...