Thursday, November 22, 2012

Put on your big girl panties and deal with it

Remember when I vented about how my upper management needed to rip off the bandaid? Well, I eventually did express my thoughts to them. Even made a few suggestions about how to go about it.

But did they listen to me?

Noooooooooo.

And guess what happened this morning during mandatory division-wide training?

It blew up.

You know when managers start arguing loudly with each other in front of the entire division, things aren't going to go well.

Blah, blah, blah. It basically comes down to a bunch of whining. Emotion. My feelings are hurt. You aren't doing things the way I'd like.

I've been listening to it since February, from every side, every angle, and every level (I'm one of those people that other people feel they can talk to and trust - which I am - so tend to hear everything). And quite frankly, I'm sick of it.

I'm sick of hearing it. I'm sick of Group #1 whining that we do everything Group #2's way. Which is funny, because Group #2 is venting about the same thing. I'm tired of one group complaining that they have no input into the division-wide training, when members from their group make up 50% of the Training Committee, and nearly 2/3 of the presenters have been form their group. I'm tired of it. I'm sick of it.

The perception of each group is that they aren't being heard.
The perception of each group is that the other group is being favored.

The reality is that both groups are being heard.
The reality is that both groups have to give up things for the merger to work.

The truth is our management team has been put in an incredibly difficult position.
And the truth is that even though we have some fantastic managers, right now no one is emerging as a leader.

And right now we need a leader.

Over six months later, and people still aren't sure about their jobs, are uncertain about the division's future direction. Over six months later, and people are still quibbling about stupid stuff.

We need someone to stand up, take the reins, communicate a clear direction to the entire team, and then sit everyone down and say something to the effect of:

"We are not Group #1. We are not Group #2.
We are a new organization, Group A.

Those are the facts. They aren't changing. We all will have to make compromises to make this organization into the strong, influential place in the company in which we rightfully belong.

We are Group A. Period.

Now put on your big girl panties and deal with it."


And the longer upper mangement puts off taking that determined lead, the longer our group is going to flounder. And the more public flare ups we're going to experience.

The point of me posting this is to say this:

If you're in a leadership position - be it in a company, community organization, or the like - then lead. You are going to upset people. Maybe a lot of people. You will not please everyone.

If you're considering a leadership position, before you accept it ask yourself this question: is it more important for me to be liked, or for me to be respected? Because if it's more important for you to be liked, then either you will not succeed as a leader, or you will be miserable at it.

2 comments:

'Yellow Rose' Jasmine said...

And people wonder why I'm more than happy to continue struggling on being self employed... ;)

Jill from PJgamers said...

How frustrating! It must be awful seeing what needs to be done and having to wait for the people in charge to get to it. Nothing makes work grumpier than long unresolved issues. Hope they get their butts in gear, soon.
♡ Jill

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...