Thursday, June 14, 2012

Why I Talk About PPD

Sometimes I wonder if I should be so open & honest about my struggles with depression & PTSD. Until I get messages like this one (names redacted):

"I know we haven't talked directly in like 10 years, and if what I'm going to ask is too personal, I totally understand.

My son was born a month ago, and I've come to realize that my wife is suffering from post partum depression. I know I saw some post from you on the matter a while back so I was hoping for some thoughts/advice.

I encouraged her to talk to her OB and he suggested going shopping, which felt like he wasn't taking her seriously.

I'm not real sure what I'm trying to ask you, I just feel a little lost and helpless. So if you have any thoughts/ advice /prayers please send them my and my wife's way."

This is why I tell others about my experience.
Because there are still medical professionals telling women a shopping trip will help their PPD.
Because husbands want desperately to help their wives, but don't know where to start.
Because women need to know they are not alone, and there is hope.

1 comment:

Amber said...

I think it's a good thing. Actually, more than that. I think being open is a rare and beautiful thing in this judgy world. Good job!

Maybe I should post more about my struggles with helping my hubs deal with PTSD....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...