Thursday, February 16, 2012

Parenting Advice from FireWife

Okay, here's the thing, if  you've read my blog for long at all, you know that I do not have all the answers.

But I have figured out a few things, at least things that worked for our family.

And I realized the other day, that on the off-chance that we ever do have another kid, I want to remember them.

But I don't really have anywhere to write them down.

So, guess what? This is a blog post to my possibly future self. I'm just letting you read it too.

Feel free to leave comments with your own advice. I'm sure I'll be updating this post as I remember additional tidbits / discover new things.

*****************************

Pregnancy:

Pray for your unborn child.
I'm convinced FireGirl likes veggies because while I was pregnant I prayed that she would like all the healthy stuff that I didn't.


Try not to gain more than 50 lbs.
Screw the tables the AMA comes up with, but keeps changing.
Knowing your family history, and how much you gained with FireGirl, 50 lbs is a reasonable target (for max).


Follow your gut.
You're an awesome mom already. You know what to do. Do it.

Eat more fruits & veggies.
It's just good for you. And the baby.


Labor & Delivery:

It will not go as planned.

If you're comfortable doing so, allow others in the room this time.

You may need the support. So may FireMan.


Plan on taking at least 12 weeks off (max allowable by FMLA).

Remember last time? 'nuff said.


Infancy:


Pray for your child.

If it's another girl, check her labia frequently.

Labial adhesions are a b****.

Follow your gut.
You're an awesome mom. You know what to do. Do it.

If you want to breastfeed, go for it.
If you're struggling, try to pump. Some breastmilk is better than none. Screw the lactation consultants. Pump & know how much you're getting.
If you feel like you need to stop BFing and / or pumping, do it. There is no shame.


Trust FireMan when it comes to carseats.

Chances are your kid will be much larger than average, and he is the trained professional.

Deep breath, calm down.


Toddlerhood:

Pray for your child.

Every kid walks & talks at their own pace.

Stop freaking out.

Trust your gut.
You're an awesome mom. You know what to do. Do it.

Don't let them in the front seat of the car unattended. Even for a minute. Even in the driveway.
They think CD players look like great places for the pennies in the change holder, remember?

Trust FireMan when it comes to carseats.
Chances are your child will be larger than average.
It will look scary to check your rearview mirror and see your baby in the big kid seat.
But with FireGirl you checked & rechecked the safety stats, and it really was safer considering her size, remember?



Preschool-Age:

Pray for your child.

Trust your gut.
You're an awesome mom. You know what to do. Do it.

Enroll them in preschool if finances allow.
Challenging them intellectually is good.
Let them go at their own pace (montessori is preferred)


Make holidays a BIG DEAL. Even little ones.
It's worth it just to see their faces.

**************************************

* remember, this is a post to myself. I'm sharing it with you, but if you disagree because something didn't / doesn't / you don't think it will work for you or your family, then fine. No need to argue with me, because I accept the fact that what works for one family will not necessarily work for another.*

2 comments:

Melani said...

These are great and very tailored to your family. I am the mother of 4 (19, 16, 6 and 4) and one other thing you might want to add in there somewhere: each kid (at least for me) are different in their own ways, some learn way quicker then others (see my 16 yr old) and some make the same mistakes over and over expecting different results ( see my 19 yr old and I think some refer to this as insanity) and some are almost resistant to learning basic counting skills and the alphabet song (see my 4 yr old) and some are soooo artistic they do everything completely different them the other 3 and has no athletic bone in her body ( see my 6 yr old) so, after realizing all of this I have parented them all a little differently depending on how they are. They all have had a set/strict bedtime and they all have had chores to do, so while the core is the same there are things I have done different with each one.

Mrs. L said...

you're an awesome mom!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...