Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I got out of bed of my own accord. It's a good day.

Another of my favorite lessons from the derm office would occur when I would ask any one of a number of our elderly patients how they were doing.

The responses would vary, but had the same message:

"Well, I woke up this morning, so I guess it's a good day."

"I was able to get out of bed by myself today, so it's a good day."

"Well, the good Lord saw fit to let me wake up this mornin', so I guess I'm having a good day."

Over and over again, I heard the same sentiment from these people, grateful to simply have one more day upon this earth, acutely aware of their age and the soonness of their impending death.

It's a lesson we all need to remember from time to time, isn't it?

4 comments:

'Yellow Rose' Jasmine said...

Yup, it sure is all relative that way!

violajack said...

I walked from the bus stop to work today on my own two feet, which the girl who sat next to me didn't have. One of her legs was a prosthetic.

Yeah, little reminders to keep perspective are always useful.

Amber said...

I know what you mean! I hear that from my momma all the time. Reminds me to be fully present in the now and not let the little moments of happiness pass me by!

Good post! Great reminder! :)

Heather said...

We definitely need this reminder every once in awhile. Glass half full instead of half empty!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...