Thursday, November 3, 2011

Not Just Another Blog Challenge: #3 - My First Job


Ahhh, my first job. Not including chores. Not including mowing relatives' lawns for cash, or babysitting for the neighbor's kids. My first real job.

My first real job was as a dishwasher for a steakhouse in the local mall called York's Choices.


My job was to clear dirty dishes off of tables, take them to the back, rinse them off, load the dishwasher, unload them when done, take out the garbage, and sweep & mop the floors.

About a year after I worked there the local location was closed down. The rumor was that it was shut down for health code violations. Having worked there, I believed it. I tried googling it, and it appears the entire chain is now defunct.

It was a hard, smelly undertaking. My uniform smelled like garbage (literally), no matter how many times it was washed. It stunk.

I worked there the summer between my junior & senior years of high school. I wanted to keep working part time when school started back up, but my dad was insistent that my job was school. Period. I had to talk him into letting me get that job.

My dad is so wise. Seriously. Here I was, a teenager begging him to let me get a job so I could have some extra spending cash, and my dad kept telling me "Your job is school. You have plenty of time to work once your education is over. You'll be working the rest of your life. Right now, your job is to go to school & get good grades."

Wise, I tell ya, wise.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...