Thursday, August 19, 2010

Freedom of Religion

So... this whole mosque thing as me kinda riled up. Admittedly not really riled up, but kinda.

The more I think about it, the more those who oppose the mosque bother me. Again, I certainly have sympathies for the emotions surrounding this issue, but our country guarantees us the freedom of religion, and although this issue might just dance on the outskirts of that constitutional right, I feel strongly that to deny the building of this mosque (or Islamic community center, as the case may be), treads on the rights of our fellow American citizens.

And that is really starting to bother me.

Especially when I hear or read things opposing it from people I know are born-again Christians. Some of whom will squawk when they feel that their rights as Christians, their rights to worship as they please or to express their spiritual beliefs, are being stripped away in the name of political correctness.

Well, isn't this the same thing? At least sort of?

To deny the building of this mosque, strips away the rights of the Muslims who would worship there, in the name of being politically correct in "honoring" the memory of 9/11.

Taking away the rights of one group of people so as not to offend another group of people just is not right.

I want to say that again.

Taking away the rights of one group of people so as not to offend another group of people just is not right.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...