Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sex & Politics

**note: this entry is based on another blog that I read. Unfortunately, at the time I read it, I didn't think much of it, and thus didn't bookmark it or make note of the site name or blogger name. If it's your blog, and you so choose, please let me know and I will reference you properly & provide links to your entry**

I recently read a blog entry, written by a gay man who supports Sarah Palin.

In this entry he explains how he doesn't judge politicians based on what they do in their bedrooms, nor does he make political decisions based on what he does in his.

I. Love. This.

Brilliant. To think that we would actually judge a politician by how they do their job, and where they stand on political issues, rather than what they do behind closed doors, or what they think of what I do behind closed doors.

In a way, it reminded me of my previous post about gay marriage. So let's say I'm a politician. I do not believe in gay marriage. But I also do not think it is my place to stop it. So... why should my stance on gay marriage prevent you from voting for me? Does that make sense?

We should judge professionals by how they do their job, not their private lives.

One of the gentlemen I work with is a known cheater. He has been stepping out on his wife for years. Does this keep him from being a good engineer? A good manager? No. What he does in his personal life has no bearing whatsoever on his professional performance.

I think our society has allowed this blurring of the political & the personal. We're all guilty of it, to differing extents. We should be selecting our elected officials based on their ability to do the job at hand, and nothing more.

I understand why people take politics personally. Because it is personal, in some ways. They are the people that are going to make decisions on how our communities are run. On how our laws are interpreted & put into effect. But I think we need to stop voting for the person who agrees with us the most on personal issues, and start voting for the person that's going to do their very best to uphold their own integrity by serving all members of their community, without regard for personal or spiritual similarities or differences.

I feel like I haven't explained myself very well here. But I also am at a loss for what else to say. So... I guess I'll stop now.

Thanks for checking in!

1 comment:

Marianne said...

I would love to able to judge a politician only on their job performance, but I can't. As much as I would like to think they can be impartial, I think it's hard to ignore their personal feelings on matters.

As far as the cheater goes, he may be a good engineer and manager, but if he feels it's OK to cheat on his wife, what's not to say he doesn't think it's OK to do other immoral things?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...