Thursday, August 15, 2013

Just call me "mom"

I was gonna write this whole long post about the following terms, what they mean, and how they affect us:

working mom
SAHM
homemaker
housewife

I even had it started, was a few paragraphs in. Then I realized that even the most well-intentioned writings on this subject still tend to have the effect of fueling the fires of the mommy wars. That although I knew what I was trying to say, there was a high likelihood that someone would interpret it differently and take offense.

And I don't want that.

So instead of this long post where I ramble about my thoughts on the subject, I'm gonna simply get down to the point:

Maybe instead of having all these different titles at all, we should all rebel and start calling ourselves simply "mom".

Because the fact of the matter is that SAHMs work, and working moms are still homemakers. With rare exception, moms of every kind "do it all".

We're all doing the best we can to do right by our families, to raise our children in this crazy world.

So instead of labelling each other, instead of accepting labels for ourselves, labels that divide instead of unite, maybe we should reject the labels, call each other by our names, and if someone feels the need to ask what we do, we tell them:

I'm a mom.

*******************
this post inspired by this post

3 comments:

Estes Family Blog said...

Beautiful post! I'm a mom!!

Twingle Mommy said...

Wonderful post! It's true we perform all tasks regardless of our title. But since my kids are little, I'll be mommy.

AiringMyLaundry said...

Yes! Love this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...