Monday, October 26, 2009

Thoughts

One of my Facebook friends is currently working in a small Southern town, which is primarily black.

She recently posted a status update which said something to the effect that the people in this town have been so horribly oppressed for so long, that they don't even know that they are oppressed.

That got me thinking.

Can you truly be oppressed if someone has to tell you that you're oppressed?

Now, I'm not saying that there might not be injustices that need to be corrected, but, I don't know, what if these people were happy before this group of people came in and started telling them how crappy their lives were?

I don't know the particulars of the situation, but I just keep thinking about how we as humans tend to constantly compare our lives to others. And someone always has it better, right? and if we focused on that we would probably all be depressed.

Again, I don't want to downplay the fact that if there were truly some serious injustices occurring in this town, that they need to be corrected. Everyone deserves to be treated with dignity & respect. But... I just keep thinking about the what ifs.
And seriously, what if these people were happy the way things were, before they were told how bad they were? Then are they really better off now that they're miserably going about "fixing" their town?

Just a thought.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...