Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Serving the Lord

What does this mean?

This morning, while preparing FireGirl's breakfast, I looked at the decorative plate we have hanging above the kitchen sink. On it is this scripture reference:

"...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." - Joshua 24: 15 (KJV)

But what does that mean? How do we serve God? Doesn't He already have anything He could possibly need? I mean, after all, He's God. So how do we serve the Lord our God?

Here's what I've come up with so far.

#1 - spread the word of His Kingdom, the Good News, the Gospel. Share your testimony, in big or small ways.

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:" -- Matthew 28:19 (KJV)

#2 - Pray for the needs of others

" pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine." -- John 17:9 (KJV)

#3 - serve your fellow man, in big ways, or in small.

"For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another." -- Galations 5:13 (KJV)

#4 - take care of God's creation (man, beast, plant, or land)

"The earth is the LORD's, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein." -- Psalm 24:1 (KJV)

"A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast:..." -- Proverbs 12:10 (KJV)

I am by no means an expert on the will of God. I'm just a sinner saved by grace. But I think this is a pretty good start.

Anything to add? How do you interpret "serve the Lord"?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...