Friday, January 17, 2014

Not Exactly Comforting


One early morning last week Chief woke me up at 3:15am needing to go out.

I rolled out of bed and reached for the light switch. As I did so, I felt a sharp pain in my lower abdomen. Then water running down my leg.

I froze.

Did my water just break? Maybe it was just pee. But I didn't feel like I needed to pee. It didn't feel like I  peed. It just came out. And the pain…

Crap.

All I could think was “I’m only 20 weeks. This cannot be good”

I let the dogs out. Let them back in. Went to the bathroom to see if I could tell anything. No clue.

After checking with Dr. Google I determined that at the very least I needed to call my doctor. But right about then Jena started calling for me.

It’s now roughly 4am. She had wet her bed. I got her changed into clean PJs and tucked into our bed. Then I went into the living room and called the after hours line for our OB practice.

The doctor who was on call confirmed that yes, I needed to get checked out. But she advised that I didn’t need to rush because if my water did break there’s really nothing they can do anyway (minimum age for survival outside of the womb is currently 24 weeks).

Not exactly comforting.

So I went back to bed and contemplated whether or not I needed to wake Jason up. Then he rolled over and looked at me. He was up. I told him what was going on, and started crying.

We decided to go, but we would take the time to get us & everything ready, call his mom to watch Jena, wake Jena up, etc.

And so we did. His mom never did answer the phone, so she got a surprise visit around 5:15am.

We arrived at the Emergency Room and they took us up to Labor & Delivery triage.

The first thing they did was find Peanut’s heartbeat. Even though I had felt her move on the ride to the hospital, it sure was a relief to actually hear that strong beating sound.

The hospital doctor was in the process of delivering another baby, so we had to wait just a bit for him to come in. Then they proceeded to do a “fern test” to see if they could detect any amniotic fluid in the birth canal.

Negative.

Whew.

So they called and spoke to my doctor, who recommended that I call the office right when it opens and come in for an ultrasound to check fluid levels, just to be safe.

And so we went home. Slept for about 2 hours. Called the doctor and made an appointment for that afternoon.

Ultrasound was good. Fluid levels were good, all measurements were good, yay.

So… basically… I probably peed my pants.

They don’t know why it happened the way it did, why I had a pain in my abdomen just before, etc. but I don’t really care.

I’ve never been so happy to lose control of my bladder, LOL.

Needless to say our day started out worrisome and emotional, but we ended on a good note. And that’s really all I could ask for.

As always, thanks for checking in!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I am so glad to hear everything is ok! I am glad you went in and got everything checked out just to be sure.

'Yellow Rose' Jasmine said...

Oh, I am so glad everything worked out! And yes, I'm glad you simply have no bladder control at this point in time!!!! Never thought I'd be happy for someone to have that issue, but it's really all perspective isn't it?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...