Tuesday, October 23, 2012

My husband is in Haiti

He left four days ago. He comes back five days from now.

I miss him. So much.

He went with his brothers on a mission trip in honor of their father, who passed away this past Spring. They will be helping to re-build part of an orphanage that was destroyed during the 2010 Earthquake.

They have spotty internet. And he's managed to get texts to me, but for some reason doesn't get my replies.

I had a horrible feeling the week before he left. Like he wasn't coming back. Like he was leaving me forever. It was awful.

And then... they flew to Miami, but their flight from Miami to Port Au Prince was cancelled after spending over an hour on the runway. After a very long & frustrating day, the boys flew out the next morning.

I can't explain it, but my anxieties were alleviated the minute I knew their flight was cancelled. Maybe it's just a coincidence. Maybe it just gave my subconscious a reason to feel better.

Or maybe my intuition told me there was something wrong with that flight. And was right.

Honestly, I don't care which one it is. What I do care about is that what few updates I've gotten tell me that my husband arrived safely in Haiti, and so far is fine.

And misses me.

I can't wait till he gets home.

You'd think, being a firefighter's wife, being used to him being gone, this would be no biggie.

You'd be wrong.

2 comments:

Masala Chica said...

I can't imagine ever seeing him walking out the door knowing what he does without feeling some level of concern. And going to Haiti - wow - what a great thing to be doing. I hope he gets back soon. He will be safe and in your arms before you know it.
Kiran

Rebecca B. said...

Worrying like that is tough and I don't think it ever gets easier. Just keep praying. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...