Monday, September 17, 2012

My Thoughts on Gay Marriage

Since this has been such a hot topic lately, both in the news and in my owns circles, I wanted to do a post on it, only to realize I already had. This is an update on that original post.

**************************

The more I hear about the issue of gay marriage, the more I don't really care.

Now, I know, that sounds a bit harsh. But the truth of the matter is that as long as it's between two consenting adults, I don't really care.

I certainly don't think the government has the right to limit the activities of two consenting adults who aren't hurting anyone else, themselves, or property.

And I don't think the government should be involved in anybody's marriage. Not heterosexuals, not homosexuals, not polygamists. Whether or not two people are joined in marriage isn't the government's business.

Let me explain.

Marriage is an institution put in place by God. Therefore, it is at it's core between a man, woman, and God.

No one else.

Yes, biblically speaking, marriage is to be between a man & a woman. The Bible is very clear about where God stands on homosexuality, and all referances to marriage are always in reference to husband & wife, or man & woman.

But is it right for our government to uphold what is essentially a spiritual belief? I say 'no'.

The decision to marry is a very personal, private matter. While the decision should be rejoiced, at the same time who is involved in the decision should be left between the two people and God. Period.
Where it gets murky is because a lot of benefits, tax breaks, etc. are specifically given only to married couples. Well, quite frankly, I have thought this was wrong since my single days. You're refusing me a benefit because I'm single / gay / have 3 wives? Sounds like discrimination to me.

Why not permit one "civil union" between 2 adults, regardless of gender, for tax & benefit purposes, and leave it at that? Leave marriage itself as the sacred institution it is, not a government decree.

And while yes, I believe homosexuality is a sin, it doesn't mean I think it's okay to disrespect or discriminate against those who practice a gay lifestyle. That's not okay at all.

We are all sinners.

"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;" -- Romans 3:23

Do I believe that marriage should be reserved for a man & a woman? Yes. The Bible tells me that.

Do I think that the government has a right to decide who can & who can't get married, or put any other limitations on the institution of marriage? No.

1 comment:

Jen said...

This is so similar to how I feel. I always wish the government would keep it's nose out of my business. I think gay marriage should be a state's rights issue, because I think it's a good thing that there are places in the country that reflect both ways of thinking.
Great post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...