Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I have a toddler. And a bad back.

The two don't mix well.

A few weeks ago my back kept going out on me, and I blamed my new treadmill routine. But the problem has persisted without the treadmill, and after looking at other things in my life I realized that the back pain started right about the time of FireGirl's last growth spurt. I fear that she is getting too heavy for my weak back.
I have experienced pain / spasms / etc in my lower back every day for the past 2+ weeks.

*background* for those of you who don't know my history. I was in a bad car accident in 2002, suffered a serious injury to my lower back, which ultimately resulted in back surgery in 2006.

I've been trying to make her walk as much as possible, since she is walking really well. But there's still so many times when you pretty much have to pick up a toddler.

I'm really scared that I'm going to end up in the kind of pain I struggled thru for four years before my surgery. I mean, FireMan has never even seen me this bad, let alone what I was like before we met.
Honestly, I don't even care about the actual pain. I care about how it might limit the quality of my time with FireGirl.

So for now I am trying to take it easy in other areas of my life. No more working out / treadmill. No lifting anything even remotely heavy (other than FireGirl).
I have been fortunate thus far, I know. My doctors all told me back then that surgery or not, this was considered a lifetime injury - something I will be dealing with in one way or another for the rest of my life - so I knew this was a possibility. But it doesn't make it any less scary.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...