Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Routine Immunizations

The other night I had the opportunity to participate in an online discussion regarding routine childhood immunizations. It was an interesting discussion, with a good mix of moms who follow the standard schedule, follow an alternate schedule, or skip altogether. And it was probably the first such discussion I'd had without drama.

No flames. No judging. Just people sharing their viewpoints & perspectives & information.

It was awesome. I actually usually avoid discussions on any sort of hot-button topic because, let's face it, it seems like it's nearly impossible to have those talks without someone getting defensive, or hurt, or preachy. Or all three. And the next thing you know, you're stuck in the middle of a snark fest. Ugh.

As far as my stance, I am neither pro-vaccine, nor anti-vaccine. I am pro-doing-what's-best-for-my-child.And I accept that what that means is different for everybody. And that's okay.As for what we chose to do with Jena, we looked at each immunization separately. After all, each one is vastly different. Protecting against different diseases, bearing different possible side effects, etc, etc, etc. The list goes on & on. Barring any religious or medical reason to avoid all vaccines, I personally do not believe there is a blanket answer to the whether-or-not-to-vaccinate question.

Anyway, some of the people participating asked some questions that created an opportunity for me to dredge the depths of my mind for what I learned while doing my own research. And then I was asked for more info. And more.

And... I don't remember that much. And although I did a TON of research, I never found the time to compile it all and write it up. And then I just let it fall by the wayside.

But that discussion has motivated me to continue with my research and get it out there for other parents.

The obvous question? Why do your own research when there is so much already out there?

Well, because I couldn't find any info that didn't seem to be biased one way or another. I didn't want bias, I didn't want someone else's opinions, or conclusions, or findings. I wanted raw data. Numbers. Put together in a meaningful way that permitted me to make an intelligent, educated decision without pushing someone else's agenda on me.

Some of my findings were interesting. Others were downright surprising.

And it is my intent to post that on this blog once complete.
And so, dear readers, I ask you: what do you want to know about routine childhood immunizations? what would you like to see included?

As always, thanks for checking in!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...